This course was developed to give a perspective and framework for treating children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Each participate gained a deeper understanding of each Tier in the framework (Environment, Personal Accommodations, and Evidence Based Treatment), and were provided with pictorial examples of each tier, in practice, and resources to incorporate into their therapy practices.
Phillip Erkkila, MA CCC-SLP, Phillip is a Clinical Manager for Speech Rehab Services/The Stepping Stones Group in South Florida. He has worked in multiple settings including public, private and charter schools, private practice, early intervention, acute care hospitals, and adult home health, with diverse populations. He provides clinical support to CF’s, therapists with CCC, and continues to practice. He was a member a ASHA’s Leadership Development Program, a mentor in ASHA’s S.T.E.P Program and the recipient of multiple Continuing Education (ACE) Awards.
Financial Disclosure: Phil is an employee of The Stepping Stones Group. There are no other relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships to disclose at this time.
Non-Financial Disclosure: There is no non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the 3 tiers of the framework for treating children with ASD.
- Give 3 examples of ways to modify a physical environment to enhance learning
- Describe 3 Personal Accommodations to enhance student learning
- Locate Evidence Based Practices and resources related to treating children with ASD
- 5 minutes: Overview of the Tiered Framework
- 10 minutes: Tier 1 (Environment), Examples, and Resources
- 30 minutes: Tier 2 (Personal Accommodations), Examples, and Resources
- 5 minutes: Tier 3 (Evidence Based Practices), Examples, and Resources
- 10 minutes: Question and Answer